Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Tryon Creek State Park


Tryon Creek Trail Map and Nature House
Sunrise this morning was just about 7:30am. I hit the road just after sunrise, heading to my favorite walking trails at Tryon Creek State Park. This park is located off of Terwilliger Boulevard, adjacent to the Lewis and Clark College campus, between the southwest Portland suburbs and Lake Oswego.

I've walked these trails at least twenty times. I really enjoy the ambiance of this park, with its tall, mature trees, its network of trails, and the many bridges and boardwalks along the way. Unlike many of the Metro Natural Areas, this park allows dogs on all of its trails. It also has an equestrian parking area and a decent amount of equestrian trails which are also open to foot traffic. The trail network connects to all of the adjoining neighborhoods, so I often park at a neighborhood trail head to add variety to my walks.

Sunbeams along Cedar Trail
This park is quite versatile! It's very popular with runners. In the early morning, such as today, I saw more runners than I did walkers. It is also an excellent place to bring kids or elderly people for a walk. There are short and easy walks which stay relatively flat, which are good for very small kids. As for me, I enjoy the longest possible hikes with lots of elevation change and as many bridge crossings as possible.

This morning I chose a nice, long 3.9 mile walk which includes a section of bicycle trail along Terwilliger. The sun had just risen and the sky was clear. There was just enough moisture in the air to create beautiful sun rays through the forest canopy and among the tree trunks. The air was cold and crisp, just below freezing at the start of my walk.

I am no fair-weather walker. Walking only during warm and dry weather would limit the experience. 
Iron Mountain Bridge
Nature has many faces, and many moods. I like to experience all of them.

Map and Trail Description


2 comments:

  1. Our most visited natural area (we live pretty close):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7230309@N05/collections/72157625372072199/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this place. I highlighted your blog on my FB travel page, check it out: https://www.facebook.com/GoOregonNow

    ReplyDelete