Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Born to Walk

Almost every week for the past 18 months or so, I've been waking up early on a Sunday morning to go for a long walk. Human beings are born to walk. These days those of us who are able to walk, often don't. If we're physically fit and active, we might run or play sports or work out on a treadmill. Most of the rest of us walk only as far as we must, to get to and from our car and to shop for our groceries at the market.

Since I started my weekly walks, I've been surprised at how wonderful it feels. I started doing it, frankly, because I was too cheap to pay for a gym membership and too out-of-shape to play sports or run. Now my fitness level is far improved, I can run and play sports, but more than anything else I enjoy my leisurely, simple walks the best.

Perhaps the best part of walking has been exploring the amazing walking trails that are available around the Portland, Oregon area. I've lived in this area my entire life, but was mostly unaware of the great diversity of trails that exist right here in the metro area. The more trails I find and the more places I go for my weekly walks, the more impressed I am with these regional treasures.

I'll share my impressions with a different trail or a different walk each week. I encourage everyone who is able to, to get up, go out, and take a walk! Rain or shine, hot or cold, you were born to walk. Your mind and body will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment