Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mount Talbert Nature Park

A large oak tree at the summit of Mt. Talbert
On December 4th, I returned to another favorite place to hike, Mount Talbert Nature Park. There are basically two loop trails at this park. One circumnavigates the base of Mount Talbert, and the other goes up to the summit and back down the other side. The last time I tried the lower loop trail, a portion of it was closed, forcing me to turn back the way I came. This time, I wanted a short but energetic walk, so I chose the summit loop. I don't know if the lower loop still has a closed section. According to one source, people generally ignore the "closed" sign and hike the loop anyway.

The summit trail is a moderate climb. It's easy enough for most beginner hikers, but difficult enough to get your heart pumping and your legs working. If you're quiet, you might catch sight of a deer in the forest. Keep your camera ready and you might get a photo like at least one hiker did. I've hiked this trail five or six times and I have seen a doe with a fawn on one occasion, but it's not a common sight.


The summit of Mt. Talbert is rather unremarkable in my opinion. There are no views to speak of, and perhaps the only real reward is that you get a little relief as you transition from uphill to downhill. On the downhill side, my favorite part of the trail is a short boardwalk across a swampy open meadow. There are lots of ferns and mosses and it's rather nice to experience the open feeling of the meadow.

This park in the heart of eastside suburbia is another example of the great work the folks at Metro are doing to preserve some of the natural spaces for everyone to enjoy. Keep in mind that dogs are not permitted on the trails at Mt. Talbert. While our canine pals would certainly enjoy these natural spaces even more than most humans, the sensitive wildlife living there would most likely be overly stressed by their visits. Fortunately for us dog owners, there are plenty of other places to share with our pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment